READ: All things Avocado
Avocados – the trendiest food item we ever did see! From toasts, to salads, to guac and chips, this versatile Genus Persea has taken the world by storm – and we’re loving it! You may have noticed the category we’ve stated for Avocados; that’s right, they are NOT a vegetable. They belong to the Genus Persea in the Lauraceae family. Persea is a genus of about 150 species of evergreen trees belonging to the laurel family, Lauraceae. The best-known member of the genus is of course, our very favourite fruit – the avocado.
Not only do we love avocado for its yummy taste, but for all of its nutritional value too! Check out the stats of all the goodness that comes out of a single 3.5-ounce avocado:
- Vitamin K: 26% of the daily value
- Folate: 20% of the daily value
- Vitamin C: 17% of the daily value
- Potassium: 14% of the daily value
- Vitamin B5: 14% of the daily value
- Vitamin B6: 13% of the daily value
- Vitamin E: 10% of the daily value
- It also contains small amounts of magnesium, manganese, copper, iron, zinc, phosphorous and vitamins A, B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin) and B3 (niacin).
This is coming with 160 calories, 2 grams of protein and 15 grams of healthy fats. Although it contains 9 grams of carbs, 7 of those are fiber, so there are only 2 “net” carbs, making this a low-carb friendly plant food. Last but certainly not least, Avocados do not contain any cholesterol or sodium and are low in saturated fat.
TALK ABOUT AN AMAZING LITTLE FRUIT!
Here at Dessert Lady Café & Bakery, we use Avocados in many different ways, below are a list of menu items where Avocados take both the lead & back up roles:
- Our ever-famous Avocado Grilled Cheese
- Avocado Toast – build your own, your way!
- The newly added Spring Feature: Avocado & Shrimp Salad
- Tuna Tartare with Smashed Avocado
Since Avocados are gluten free, dairy free, vegan, vegetarian and cholesterol-free – they’re perfect for almost every diet. Visit us at our location on 1 Sultan St. to try out one of our delicious Avocado creations today!
The Dessert Lady