One of the most important things we stand for at Dessert Lady is a passion for fresh, healthy, homemade food that contains only the best ingredients – topped off with most importantly – LOVE. Our gourmet quinoa salad is the perfect example of all of these things. With a mix of always fresh veggies like Kale, Cucumber, Tomatoes, Sweet Corn, Avocado & Red Onion, topped with a sweet & savoury lemon vinaigrette – this gourmet salad can’t be beat and is far from your ordinary quinoa!
If you’re a lover of a hearty lunch with loads of flavour – this quinoa salad is a must, topped with your choice of protein or as is, it’s always a great choice. Not to mention, have you heard about all of the amazing health benefits of this lovely little grain??? Check them out below:
- Very Nutritious – The nutrient content for quinoa is truly off the charts. Super high in things like protein, fiber, iron & all your B Vitamins!
- Contains the Plant Compounds Quercetin and Kaempferol – these plant compounds hav been shown to have anti-inflammatory, anti-viral & anti-depressant effects. Who knew?!
- Very High in Fibre, Much Higher Than Most Grains – quinoa is such an AMAZING source! Just about 17-27 grams per cup (depending on the variety of quinoa) which is super high, more than TWICE as high as your average grain!
- Gluten-Free and Perfect for People With Gluten Intolerance – Sometimes it’s challenging to find really delicious Gluten Free options, Quinoa is ALWAYS here to save the day. Quinoa is naturally gluten free and can add great substance to any meal.
- Very High in Protein, With All the Essential Amino Acids – Did you know that Quinoa has both MORE and BETTER protein than most other grains?? Containing ALL nine amino acids and with 8 grams of quality protein per cup, quinoa is an excellent source of plant-based protein for all our Veggies & Vegans out there!
- Has Beneficial Effects on Metabolic Health– given its high beneficial nutrient content, quinoa can help to improve metabolic health. Using quinoa instead of typical gluten-free breads & pastas can significantly reduce blood sugar, insulin and triglyceride levels!
- Very High in Antioxidants – This helps to neutralize free radicals and can help fight aging and multiple diseases.
Can you tell we’re quinoa obsessed?? Bottom line, quinoa is rich in fibre, minerals, antioxidants and contains all nine essential amino acids, making quinoa one of the healthiest and most nutritious foods on the planet!!
But, what’s the best part about quinoa? Its naturally gluten-free, delicious, versatile and incredibly easy to prepare! Check out our *secret* recipe below and tell us what you think. You can also find this gourmet quinoa on our menu 7-days a week at our Café located at 1 Sultan St. Toronto, ON.
- Red Onion
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Sweet Corn
- Lemon Herd Spice Mix
- Olive Oil
- Lemon Juice
- Sweet Chilli Sauce
- Finely chop all veggies & add to cooked quinoa
- Add corn
- Mix lemon herb spice mix, olive oil, salt, pepper & Tabasco
- Mix all together
- Top with Sweet Chili Sauce for extra flavour!
The Dessert Lady